The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

I saw the movie of The Exorcist when I was in first grade. The most horrifying scene in the whole movie for me as a kid was when Regan was spider walking down the staircase. I think I kept my head behind a pillow for the rest of the movie. I was absolutely frightened by that scene. I am not sure what about that scene even as an adult still creeps me out. I had read the book about 10 years ago and once I saw some of the other horror lovers reading it I decided it was time for a reread. I am so glad that I did. It is one of those stories that scare you in different ways as you get older.

The exorcist

Summary: A little girl is possessed by an evil demon. This story follows the people who try to help her.

What I liked: I loved the writing. The writing is one of the most important parts of The Exorcist. When you can take something as mundane as a “invisible” friend and make it something terrifying  then you have hit the pinnacle of writing. The characters are fleshed out and you truly feel their emotions as you are reading. Blatty’s descriptions of the physical transformations that Regan undergoes are horrifying.

The storyline and the POV of the characters are as crisp and fresh as the day they were written. This story is as timeless and scary as it was when the book was first released. I hope that people will continue to read this horrifying book in the future.

What I didn’t like: There is nothing that I didn’t like about The Exorcist.

Star Rating: 5

My Thoughts: As a parent the whole premise of The Exorcist is terrifying. Your child is normal one day and then under goes a complete transformation practically overnight. I was raised Roman Catholic and possession was something that wasn’t discussed. The religious over tones in The Exorcist are really interesting. What I think is that the story isn’t so much about Regan but rather Father Karras. You watch as the priest goes from questioning his faith to being brought back into the fold.  Which makes me wonder if Blatty was questioning the divide between science and faith?

7 thoughts on “The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

1. Norrie June 15, 2018 / 10:13 pm

I don’t remember much from the movie except the super creepy music.
    Started this book, but i didn’t like it. Not even sure why. It was a translation, so maybe I’d like it in English 🤔

• Toni_The_Reader June 15, 2018 / 10:18 pm

I would totally suggest a reread. You never know you might like it better the second time around.

Liked by 1 person

2. indiefan20 June 29, 2018 / 1:18 am

Holy shit! You watched “The Exorcist” when you were in the first grade? My aunt snuck downstairs when her parents were watching it when she was really little and came just in time to catch the spider crawl scene. I bet she’s never forgotten that!

I liked the movie, but I didn’t like it as much as everybody else seems to. I haven’t read the book yet but it’s something I’d like to catch up on eventually. 🙂 I really like horror movies (if they’re well done) but I haven’t read nearly as much horror fiction as I’d like to.

Liked by 1 person

• Toni_The_Reader June 29, 2018 / 3:19 am

My family was like the first family on the block to have cable. My older brother, who is 13 years older then me, thought it would be a good idea to let me watch it. Not to long after that he crawled under my bed at night and shook it.

Good horror fiction is amazing. It can scare you with the mundane things. The everyday becomes creepy and dark. I like films like that. That are constantly making you look over your shoulder.

Liked by 1 person

• indiefan20 June 29, 2018 / 1:04 pm

Wow, nice brother. 😛
        I watched my first horror movie when I was about twelve. It was “The Lost Boys,” so it was definitely a lot more low-key as far as the scare factor goes than “The Exorcist.”

Liked by 1 person

• Toni_The_Reader June 29, 2018 / 3:41 pm

LOL he has pulled all sorts of wonderful pranks on me. But that is what older brothers are for.

I loved The Lost Boys!!

Liked by 1 person

• indiefan20 June 29, 2018 / 4:42 pm

I really enjoy that movie too, it’s so corny, but it’s great. I especially like the character of the Grandpa, he was the best part.

I’m the oldest of three kids so I didn’t get pranked like you did, luckily. 😛

Liked by 1 person