The Witch Doesn’t Burn In This One by Amanda Lovelace

” i’m not ashamed to say i’m my first priority” I don’t read a lot of feminist writings. However, this book of poetry really speaks to me at a very deep level. There are so many different aspects to this book of poetry. The one that resonates the deepest within in me is self worth. I am more then a step-parent, employee and significant other. I am me. With all my flaws which are many. Bt I am my priority.

Summary: Poems….This is hard to describe. I don’t want to say just poems but they were so much more then feminist poetry.

What I liked: I really enjoyed this book of poetry. Many of the themes such as loving yourself and making yourself a priority really resonated with me. The layout out of the book I loved it was interesting and visually pleasing. The cover was spot on and I truly enjoyed the simplicity of the cover. Lovelace’s writing is poignant and timely.

What I didn’t like: There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about Lovelace’s writing.

Star Rating: 5

My thoughts: Lovelace’s writing is fantastic and raw. There is a lot of emotion between the covers of this book.

7 thoughts on “The Witch Doesn’t Burn In This One by Amanda Lovelace

1. justonemorepaige April 30, 2018 / 5:42 pm

I’ve heard a lot of talk about her poetry… How do they compare to Rupi Kaur (the only other feminist sort of poetry I’ve ever tried)?

Liked by 1 person

• Toni_The_Reader May 1, 2018 / 12:14 am

I am not sure to be honest. I have Milk and Honey and had yet to read it…But I will give it a read and let you know.

Liked by 1 person

• justonemorepaige May 1, 2018 / 1:25 pm

Oh awesome – thanks. I hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoyed Amanda’s work!

• Toni_The_Reader May 1, 2018 / 12:57 am

So I’ve read about 3/4 of Milk and Honey. The biggest difference I see is that milk and honey reads like a relationship. About love and what happens after love. Lovelace at least in The Witch Doesn’t Burn in this one seems more about being powerful as a woman and taking control. Like not being ashamed to be a woman. As I was reading milk and honey I didn’t get the same raw emotion as I did when I was reading Lovelace. Lovelace is very raw which I like where I feel like Kaur is a bit more polished. I think that both are coming from the same place but just written differently. I hope that answers your question if not send me an email…It is in my about page.

Liked by 1 person

• justonemorepaige May 1, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Wow – that was fast turnaround on reading Milk and Honey. Thanks! And I definitely will look into Lovelace’s works now – you’ve definitely sold it for me. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Toni_The_Reader May 1, 2018 / 3:10 pm

I am a pretty fast reader when everyone in my house is quiet 🙂 But your question really intrigued me. Let me know how you like Lovelace.

Liked by 1 person